From the 1950’s, Dominica began develop many social areas that at the time were severely lacking. This included the construction of roads, electricity plants and communication within and from the island. The Colonial Development and Welfare Organization granted money for the construction of the Imperial Road as well as several feeder roads for agricultural use that continued to connect the island, and in 1972 the road between Roseau and Portsmouth was completed. During this period the Melville Hall Airport was also completed along with a hydro-powered electrical plant at the Ti Tou Gorge. Significant problems with urban housing at this time prompted the development of many housing projects in areas such as Goodwill, Canefield and Point Michele.
As the population grew the island struggled with a lack of employment and accessible education for youth. Secondary school attendance increased considerably which led to the construction of several new schools within and outside of Roseau. During the 1960’s despite some initial public resistance several village councils were inaugurated. While there had been telephone connections in some parts of the island, in the 1960’s Cable and Wireless, a British company began to manage telecommunication on the island, replacing the old system, and by 1978 most villages had at least one public telephone. In 1971 Radio Dominica went on the airwaves, furthering communication on the island as well. It was also in this year that a National Provident fund scheme was established which was later updated by the Social Security act of 1976.
The island experienced considerable social growth in the years leading up to 1978 but still continued to face many challenges that shaped the political landscape in Dominica.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.